Tips For Truckers - Staying In Shape
On The Road Fitness
While life on the road gets you out of the regular confines of an office, it does share one pitfall with a desk job. The sedentary nature of truck driving can make it difficult to stay in shape and keep the pounds from adding up.
Difficult, but not impossible. With just a little thought and pre-planning you can add some health and fitness habits to your daily schedule. These tips will give you a head start on creating your personal plan of action.
- Include 15 minutes of exercise every day. Schedule it just as you would a doctor's appointment so you'll be less likely to let it slide. You don't need a formal routine or equipment. It can be as simple as a walk around a truck stop or rest area.
- Get your heart rate pumping during your workouts. This results in more efficient use of your time by promoting maximum fat burning.
- Stock up on healthy snacks to keep on hand. This reduces the temptation to rely on the empty calories and lack of nutritional value from fast-food joints or vending machines.
- Remember when Mom told you to eat your breakfast? She was right. A good breakfast provides the energy to get the day started off right. Follow a schedule of eating every three hours to control hunger and prevent binge snacking.
- Even time behind the wheel can be productive. You can perform simple toning exercises for your core and other muscle groups while you drive.
- Keep a log of your diet and fitness activities. Since you're not using a regular facility such as a gym, it's easy to lose track of what you've done. Documenting your actions and progress gives you motivation to continue.
We're here to make your travels just a little bit easier. Visit us at TruckerToTrucker.com for the latest news and tips.
- Issues and Trends