Truck Stop Trends: More Luxury and Options
Truck stops used to be bare bones affairs. A row of pumps, a dirt-encrusted bathroom, and, if you were lucky, a greasy spoon with a menu heavy on fried meat. Despite the lack of glamor, truckers could always count on a good, strong cup of coffee and a friendly word from the folks behind the counter.
Many of today's modern truck stops offer a full range of maintenance and repair services for both trucks and their drivers and more than a few luxury services usually only found in pricey resorts! These aren't your dad's truck stops; that's for sure!
Truck Stop Towns
Not that we're complaining. Long-haul truckers are benefiting from the increased service and luxury options. It may take a few years for some of the newest truck stop trends to spread across the country, but truckers can look forward to truck stops that are less like glorified gas stations and more like highway towns.
Here's what's coming down the pike:
- Truck stops are adding medical services, including nurse practitioners, dentists and chiropractors.
- Unisex barbershops are cropping up as are dog washes so you and your traveling buddy can both get spruced up!
- Other personal services like shoe and boot repair and custom printing are also on tap at a few truck stops.
- At some truck stops you can get a massage with your shower and even a relaxing soak in a hot tub or Jacuzzi.
- Movie theaters and game rooms increase entertainment options.
- Larger well-stocked general stores are replacing truck plaza convenience stores. Like mini Walmarts, they offer a wider range of personal, food, clothing and truck parts and products.
- Food courts and multiple restaurants are replacing café and counter service, giving truckers more mealtime choices. Healthier fare and a few gourmet options are also showing up at some truck stops.
Keep up with the latest trucking trends on TruckerToTrucker.com.