The Tax Man Cometh: Deduction Tips
Seems like just yesterday that I sent my right arm into the IRS with my quarterly tax coupon, but my accountant is already bugging me for my year-end tax info. It's like that saying about the postman: "Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow…" Well, April 15 is coming and nothing's going to keep the tax man from sticking his hand into your pocket. The best you can do is make sure you claim all the deductions you're entitled to.
With that in mind, here's a list of deductions you don't want to forget to claim:
- Access fees for internet and satellite services
- Administrative fees such as ATM and check reorder fees
- Cell phone charges for business use
- Cleaning supplies
- ComData/ComCheck fees
- Computer software
- Credit card fees
- Dues to trucking associations and the union
- Interest on business loans or credit cards
- Office supplies
- Medical exams required by your employer
- Mortgage interest, prepayment penalties, points, real estate taxes, etc.
- Postage for mailing invoices, bills of lading, etc.
- Safety gear
- Trucking and business subscriptions
- Uniforms, including dry cleaning costs
If in doubt, check with your accountant. After all, you pay him to keep you on the straight and narrow, right?